It is my 30th birthday today! What better day to reflect upon my life and how I came to be the artsy crafts loving person that I am. Inspired by this one sentence site I decided to list my life in crafts. Once single sentence for each year.
1. I learned how to hold a crayon.
2. Learned how to hold a crayon better.
3. Chose to color the same bunny rabbit picture over and over at pre-school every day.
4. I told my grandmother I wanted to be a dancer when I grew up but she told me I'd be an artist.
5. Made colored clay figures and played with them.
6. Was introduced to the magic of glitter and glue in kindergarten.
7. Art class was my favorite at school.
8. Hated all other classes except art.
9. Made ceramic sculptures of my grandparents that they still proudly display on their kitchen shelf.
10. Art class was my favorite class and the only thing I remember about 4th grade.
11. Decorated my shoes with markers and neon puffy paint as a fashion statement.
12. Seed beads.
13. My ceramics teacher told me I'd be an artist when I grew up.
14. Bleached and tie-dyed my own clothes.
15. Stayed up all night long doing hemp macrame, candlemaking, beading, polymer clays and sewing.
16. Won first place in an art competition in three different categories.
17. Attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and decided I wasn't a very good artist.
18. Made elaborate belly dancing costumes.
19. Made even more elaborate belly dancing costumes.
20. Finally got good at wheel throwing and made everyone ceramic mugs and bowls for the holidays.
21. My first solo art show of sculptures made entirely from trash I picked off the shores of Lake Mendota.
22. Graduated with a degree in Art Therapy.
23. Met my husband and got my first real job working in web production for an online art dealer.
24. Started and quit the worst job of my life working as a production designer for an ad placement agency.
25. Bought a ton of canvases and painted very unhappy pictures.
26. Got a graphic job designing CD covers for a music label and got bored fast.
27. Got married and started a crafty wedding website that paid the bills.
28. Got pregnant and filled my hours painting nursery animals, furniture and baby stuff.
29. In what little time I had, I made a lot of jewelry and cute baby clothes.
30. To be continued, but I'll be doing lots of crafts I'm sure.
Just 30 minutes into my birthday (yes, I'm up late) and I've already had a wonderful couple of days. In our house we seem to celebrate birthweeks rather than just a single day. More later when I wake up!